My New Sewing Machine

I got a new sewing machine last week! I wanted to hold off blogging about it until I’d had plenty of time to use it for the things that I usually use my sewing machine for (quilt blocks, bags, etc.). Today I’d like to tell you about it, since some people mentioned that they were curious about it, and that they’d like to hear a detailed review.

My new machine is the Juki TL-2010Q that I got from Sew Vac Direct. The funny thing about getting this particular machine is that I know of two other girls that got the same exact machine, the same time that I did (and we didn’t know anyone else was getting it). I had a sewing evening for friends last week, and there were 4 Juki’s on the table, so that was fun. Apparently it’s some ‘club’ that I didn’t know about, because I was oblivious to how great they are.

Previous machine – CD to visually illustrate the amount of throat space.

A little background about my previous machine. I got it when I first started learning how to sew as an adult, and when I started my blog. It did everything that it was supposed to do, and I never had any trouble with it. I’ve sewn probably close to 100 bags on that machine. I’ve only quilted a few quilts on it, and it wasn’t really that enjoyable, because I thought I just didn’t like the actual quilting part. I’m guessing it was mostly that I didn’t have enough space to work with.

New Juki – see how much more throat space?

I’ll admit that I didn’t know any better, and so I didn’t know what I was missing. I hadn’t used other sewing machines, and so I thought ‘what’s the big deal’? I started researching machines only recently, and I thought it was wishful thinking. But then I thought, “What could I do with all that extra throat space?” I mean, I *do* make structured and large bags, which I do have to wrangle through the throat area of my sewing machine; 75% of what I do on my machine is this.

So, here is a photo of the largest bag pattern that I have ever made, the Aeroplane Bag. It actually fits *inside* the throat space of the new Juki. I tried putting this same bag in the throat of my old machine, and I can’t really put it inside the throat area at all (how in heck did I even make these bags in the first place? lol!!).

The Juki came with various feet, including this one, and also a 1/4″ foot, among others. The needle on the Juki does not move to the side, like my old machine did (I used to use my regular foot on the old machine and lined up my fabric against the side of the foot, for 1/2″ seams), and so I used this removable vinyl stop, called ‘Sewing Edge’, on the bed of my machine so I can easily see to sew a 1/2″ seam allowance, which is what I use when sewing a bag.

I have to laugh a bit at this photo, as this quilt block looks so dwarfed on the bed of the Juki. Did I mention that the Juki is all metal? Yep, this sucker weighs about 40lb. A few other features about the machine to note, is that it is a straight-stitch only sewing machine. Yes, it only does a straight stitch. No extra fancy stitches included. Which is fine by me, since I use straight stitch 99% of the time. I still have my old machine for zig-zag or blanket stitches.

Unlike my old machine, which was a drop in bobbin, this one has the bobbin loaded on the side of the machine.

This is also a high-speed machine; I only have mine set at the mid-range. My friend Emily uses hers at the fastest speed (the rabbit), which makes me kind of nervous. 🙂 There is also a feature to cut your threads when you’ve finished sewing, and also an automatic needle threader

I also like that my thread loads in an upright position, and there is also that spindle on the right, for use with the cones. The Aurifil thread cones seem like a pretty economical buy, so I think I’ll get one of those next time.

Conclusion: I LOVE MY NEW JUKI TL-2010Q! It’s freaking amazing!! The shipping from Sew Vac Direct was super fast (it shipped the next day). When I first got the machine, I e-mailed their customer service with a question about if Juki made a 1/2″ foot (they don’t), and they responded to my question within about 10 hours. It was a great experience; I’m also ordering a dress form from them because I found one at a great price.

Anyway, I’m completely happy with this new machine. I know something like this is an investment, but I figured that I’m pretty serious about sewing. Having a quality machine with all this extra throat space is going to make my life a whole lot easier, and will make things that were unpleasant before (quilting a quilt) into an enjoyable experience. The final steps to making a bag used to make me sweat a bit (I’d usually leave that part for a separate day, lol), but now I won’t be ramming bags through my sewing machine. I know Santa’s coming soon, so maybe you need some more throat space too?

55 replies on “My New Sewing Machine

• Teresa Linscott

Congratulations! I love my straight stitch only machine and use it 99% of the time. Those metal machines just sew through everything. The only thing I don’t like about mine is it seems like the thread slips out of the needle all the time. Probably just me.

• Alicia

Do you mean it comes unthreaded after you cut the threads from the previous sewing? If so, leave longer threads, or use an anchor/leader/ender each time you cut threads.

• Jan

i love reading this as i need a new machine but don’t know where to start….i assume since this doesn’t do zigzag that you can’t do buttonholes either? thanks for sharing 🙂

• Grandma Ruthie

I got mine in September and love, love, love it! Celia the table came with mine and I got mine from All Brands so I assume it does come standard. Plus it comes with two free motion feet, a walking foot, a zipper foot, etc….. I still have my Husqvarna for a traveling machine and for it’s decorative stitches but the Juki is my main machine now.

• kateuk

Loving the quote ” I figured that I’m pretty serious about sewing”. I’m thinking about my sewing machine succession planning and thinking that I just want a really heavyweight machine that does straight stitching and not a lot else…might take a look at Juki next time I’m at a show.

• Maria

Congratulations. I bought my industrial sewing machine eight months ago and like you don’t know how I managed to make bags on my other machine. I just know you’re going to have many hours of happy sewing with it.

• Patricia Vajda

I have two Juki Sergers, and a single needle Lock Stitch Machine Juki 98E, it sews at 1500 stitches per minute. With the quilting table you have 9″ to the right of the needle and 13″ to the left of the needle. Love Juki machines they go forever and are very dependable. Anyone interested, the 98E is listed at zzstar.com, go to the (Central Coast California listings) it is under appliances. She is a beauty.

• Alli

Yay for your new machine! I have the 2000Qi, and I love it very much.

Oh, I have a tip, if it ever comes up — if your walking foot doesn’t seem to be working, just oil the heck out of it (including the black plastic parts), and it’ll work fine. 🙂

• Sarah

I bought the same machine in May. The little thing that pulls your thread through the needle broke right away, so I have to thread the needle by hand. Otherwise, I love it! I has also made my FMQ so much better!

• Danih03

Congratulations!! I have a straight stitch machine too. A Janome 1600 PQ-C and I love it! I have no regrets whatsoever of getting my simple machine! I have a feeling you won’t either. Have fun:)

• QuiltSwissy

I have the Viking megaQuilter which is the same machine. I have it on a quilting frame and use it to do the quilting. It is a workhorse. for sure.

When it is not having tension issues………..

• SpartanBabe

Yay Sara! Welcome to the Juki club!!! I love love love love my 98Q! I sewed your Camp Stitchalot and Velocity Girl on her and she worked like a charm. A little smaller than yours, but I use her for FMQ and all my other stitching. I prefer to quilt on a long arm, but that is a personal preference – Martha over at quilttotheedge.blogspot.com uses her juki for her FMQ and it is uh-mazing. I love the fact that it is straight stitch and all metal too. Did I mention I love my Juki? So glad you’ve joined the club!!! Happy sewing :o)

• Alicia

I don’t have one & have never sewed on one. I know Sharon Schamber is committed to Juki-s. Do you like how it sews? Pretty stitch? Smooth? Did the extended table come with it?

• 5lilacs

I got mu Juki 2010 a few months ago and I love it, too. I am learning to do my own FMQ since I make a lot of quilts and it was getting expensve sending them all out to be quilted. I also make handbags and totes and I love how it powers through like a champ. Looks like you may have gotten a training DVD. That wasn’t offered when I got mine..

• Kathy

Congrats!!! I use a Judi TL 98 and love it. If the thread comes out of the needle when you see the auto thread cutter like Teresa does you don’t have the thread tension set right. At least that has been my experience. Enjoy, I am sure you will love it

• Kathy

• linynp

Sara congrats!!! You’ll sew love it and once comfortable with the speed and power believe me you’ll be on the rabbit! I have a Viking mega quilter which is the same and love it! Keep the other machine because you’ll use it for other stitches when you make your beautiful garments. These mechanical straight stitch machines are awesome!!! Congrats again! If anything happens to my mega that’s my next straight stitch a juki!

• margaret

this sounds like a wonderful machine, I believe they were industrial machine makers at first, will think they still make the industrial so this will be built to last. I have a bernina 1230 which is great but like you usually only use straight stitch, all the fancy stitches are wasted on me.

• patchouli moon studio

I have nearly the same machine but I have the Brother version and I love it! The needle threader doesn’t work so great and the thread cutter cuts fine, but half the time when I use the cutter my thread comes out of the needle too. So I have to thread the old fashioned way by hand, lol. Still I love how it sews and that it can sew any thickness too. I also have a computerized machine for zigzag and other stitches, but I use my straight stitch machine the most.

• Elise Lea

I recently updated my machine from a tiny brother machine as well (I think it might be almost the same one, definitely looks the exact size and boy what a difference a bigger throat makes huh? I hope you love your new machine, It certainly is beautiful!

• juceyj03

What is the name of the old sewing machine? Only wondering because it looks much like my Brother SE400 and seeing all the wonderful work you made with that little machine gives me hope that it can be done on my little sewing machine as well?!?
    *Jessica
    juceyj03@gmail.com
    I love your work and really enjoy reading each and every one of your blog posts!!

• Debbie

I’m so glad that so many of you love your Juki’s. Please please post all the advice you can. I have had mine for a little over a year and it’s been in the shop twice now. I know it is a lemon. It’s very hard to adjust the tension, it unthreads, the thread cutter has broken twice, it skips, just really hard to deal with. I clean it, oil it, change the needle, I don’t know what else to do!!! Any help!!!

• Angela Bullard

I hope you love yours as much as I do! Like you I didn’t know what I was missing. I started out sewing on a Singer Promise (I didn’t know I was actually going to like sewing when I started out so I just bought the cheapest machine I could find). After 2 years on it I finally upgraded and I couldn’t be happier!

• RosesandIvy

Congratulations! I know you’ll love your new machine. I have a Brother that’s similar, all metal, heavy duty workhorse. I use mine to free motion embroider and for sewing pleather (it’s great when you have to cross those super thick seams). I absolutely love that machine. I did purchase a teflon foot for it to sew pleather and other stickyish fabrics (like vinyl). It was definitely worth it.

• Deb S.

I’ve had a Juki 2000Q for about a year and have been thrilled with it. This is a great production sewing machine. I do a lot of strip piecing, and with this machine I can stitch, cut the thread (with the built-in thread cutter) and lift the presser foot (with the knee lever) using very little hand motion. When you’re piecing hundreds of strips, this is a huge time saver and the motions quickly become fluid. I also have a Bernina 440Q but I never use its knee lever to lift the presser foot because for me it is positioned too far to the right to be comfortable. On the Juki the knee lever is positioned much closer to the needle. The Juki runs so smoothly and winds a perfect bobbin.

• Sharon

Have you seen pleather with this machine? I have the Babylock blqp 1500, which is a similar machine, but it doesn’t like the pleather…

Comments make my day and I love to reply!