The Amethyst Project Bag started out as a request from my daughter on Christmas morning. She had gotten a stack of drawing books and sketch pads from Santa, and she wanted some sort of bag to hold them all. So we sat down and came up a plan, and I told her that I would come up with a sewing pattern and make her bag. A few hours later, she came back and asked me where her bag was. Haha, I’m fast but I’m not that fast! I had some projects to wrap up at the beginning of the year, but I finally got around to my daughter’s pattern and she was super excited to see the finished bag (she was quite a bit disappointed that I had to ‘borrow’ her bag to do the photoshoot yesterday while she was in school).
This bag features ample storage space for any project or hobby – quilting, drawing, hand-sewing, and so much more! The lining features a zippered pouch, mesh zippered pocket, and elastics for holding pens or other items. The bottom of the case has an elastic buckle strap to hold quilt blocks, books, and rulers.
Finished Size: 14” long x 13” high x 3” deep (35.5cm x 33cm x 7.5cm)
- 3/4 yard (0.7metre) of Exterior Fabric
- 1 yard (0.9 metre) of Lining Fabric
- 1/2 yard (0.5 metre) of foam interfacing (By Annie’s Soft and Stable, Pellon Flex Foam, Bosal In-R-Form, or automotive headliner; if using Flex Foam, it is only 20” wide so please purchase 1-1/2 yard)
- 2 yards (1.8 metre) of 20” wide Pellon SF-101 Shape Flex fusible woven interfacing (or medium-weight fusible interfacing)
- 1-1/2 yard of Pellon #71 Peltex fusible ultra-firm interfacing
40” handbag zipper (if using a zipper roll, you’ll need 40-1/2”) – a parka zipper will also work
- 9” (23cm) all-purpose/dress zipper
- 14” (34cm) all-purpose/dress zipper
- 14-1/2” x 5” piece of mesh (37cm x 13cm)
- 1/2 yard (0.5 metre) of 1/4” (6mm) wide elastic
- 1 yard (0.9 metre) of 1” (2.5cm) wide elastic (I prefer fold-over elastic, no-roll will also work)
- Plastic side-release/parachute buckle (it should be able to accomodate 1” (2.5cm) wide strap)
Besides sketch books, this bag is perfect to hold all of your quilting retreat supplies. The bag will hold 12-1/2″ blocks with room to spare, and it’s nice to have a place for my 12″ x 6″ ruler also!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this peak into the Amethyst Project Bag! I’m very excited to show you all of the tester bags. They’re stunning and so functional – what will you put in your bag?!