Today is Bag of the Month Club pattern release day, and February is the month for my pattern! I’m so happy to introduce you to the Sublime Bag sewing pattern! If you’re already a member of Bag of the Month Club, log into your account on the BOMC website now; if you’d like to join, you can sign up right here (and upon joining, you’ll receive both the January and February patterns released so far)!
While I made my sample version in cotton fabric by Cotton+Steel and Jeans Blue cork fabric from my shop, instructions are for either cotton fabric or vinyl – I wanted to make sure you had as many options as possible as far as fabric goes. I had fully intended to have a free video available today on how to sew with cork fabric, but I had a few projects come up unexpectedly which impeded the progress on the video, so I will get that video up as soon as I possibly can.
This edgy bag features front diagonal zippers and unique accents on the front and back of the bag. Make the bag with front handles (no purse hardware needed!), or add a small bit of purse hardware to add an optional side strap. The bag has multiple pockets on the exterior and in the lining.
Finished Size: 13-1/2” long x 10-1/2” high x 4-1/2” deep
- 2/3 yard of Exterior Fabric
- 1 yard of Lining Fabric
- 1 yard of solid fabric (quilting cotton or leather) for straps/accents – marine/very thick vinyl not recommended
- 1/2 yard of foam interfacing (By Annie’s Soft and Stable, Pellon Flex Foam, Bosal In-R-Form, or automotive headliner; if using Flex Foam, it is only 20” wide so please purchase 1 yard)
- 3 yards of 20” wide Pellon SF-101 Shape Flex fusible woven interfacing (or medium-weight fusible interfacing)
- 1/4 yard of Pellon #71 Peltex fusible ultra-firm interfacing
- Two 9” all-purpose/dress zippers for front diagonal zip closures
- 18” handbag zipper for top closure (VERY IMPORTANT to use a handbag zipper/1-1/4” wide zipper tape)
- 12” all-purpose/dress zipper for lining pocket
- Optional: 4 purse feet
For optional side strap:
Two d-rings (or triangle rings) with 1” opening
Two swivel clips with 1” opening
I absolutely couldn’t wait to start using this bag – it’s been sitting in my sewing room all month waiting for beauty shots to be taken before I made it my new everyday bag, for fear of getting a huge stain on the front before I was able to photograph it (because that would totally happen to me). Literally 30 seconds after I finished taking the last photograph, my cell phone and wallet were already inside and had taken up permanent residence.
The front zippered pocket is one continuous space, and there is a zippered pocket in the lining as well as as accordion pocket with two separate spaces (one space is the perfect size to hold a cell phone). The bag can be made with just front handles (which means no purse hardware required!), or you can add a small bit of purse hardware and add a side strap.
If you’d like to give cork fabric a try for this bag, I have about 60 different varieties currently available and offer flat rate shipping to the U.S. and Canada (and I do ship worldwide). Check out cork fabric here.
All of my pattern testers turned in utterly exceptional tester bags – thank you so much to each and every one of you! I hope you love all of their bags! If you want to add this pattern to your sewing library, don’t forget to pop over to the Bag of the Month Club website!
2 bags by Kristy
Thank you everyone so much, I hope you loved these views of the Sublime Bag sewing pattern!