Sometimes, I forget how much commercial patterns differ from quilt patterns. In a quilt pattern, the directions say to read it through before beginning. And with this McCall’s pattern, reading ahead would confuse anyone. So, when I’m making a commercial pattern I’ve found it best to do the instructions one sentence at a time.
The pattern took a couple of weekends to figure out and put together…between choosing fabrics and trying to puzzle out the instructions, it was time-consuming. I’m sure it would be much easier to figure out if I tried to make the bag again. For example, I would know that I need three different “#13” pattern pieces…one from the primary fabric, one from the lining fabric, and one from fusible fleece. It was difficult to keep track of what piece needed to be cut from which fabric. But, taking things “one-sentence-at-a-time” really did make things go much smoother.
If I were to make it again, I might replace the velcro on the front flap with a magnetic closure…I think it might look a little nicer. I also might resize the flap a little larger…it seems a little too narrow for the body of the bag. I also realized that I need to find my piping foot for my machine…the piping would have been much easier to make with the proper foot! But, for the most part, I am really happy with the bag…it has plenty of zippered pockets and places to put my things, and it’s extremely roomy!
This pattern was both challenging and fun to make. I wanted a bag with a masculine look and a practical application. I love using the Tim Holtz fabrics and they have helped achieve the look I wanted for the bag. Most of the time I’m making bags for others, but this time, it’s all mine!