Last night, I made a dress. I had some bags to make, but I thought that I would just crank this one out and get back to the bags. Last week I received some ‘Field Study’ linens by Anna Maria Horner, from Westwood Acres on Etsy. Amanda is selling the bundles, as well as yardage of this fabric (check out her other bundles…she is a fabulous curator!). The linens have a canvas-weight feel (if you’re familiar with Echino or majority of Melody Miller’s fabrics, that’s pretty much the same).
At the beginning of the month, I purchased the Belladone Dress sewing pattern from a French pattern designer, Deer and Doe. The instructions are both in French and in English. The pattern booklet comes with illustrations and clear instructions, and I didn’t have any difficulty understanding the instructions. The Belladone is a cute dress with a back cut out, front pleats, and pockets. I’d recommend this pattern for an intermediate seamstress; even though the instructions are well-written, they aren’t elaborated on, so if you were new to garment sewing, you might need a little more explanation (for example, the armholes and neckline are finished with bias tape, and the instructions just note when to apply and to which part, which again, is adequate if you’ve made clothing before).
I really liked the back cut-out of the dress immensely. I originally wanted to swap out the pleated skirt for a circle skirt, because that really is my favorite, but I forgot that this ‘Ghost Wing’ fabric was directional, so I’d have to get 4 yards instead of the 2 yards the pattern calls for, to work in the circle skirt on a directional fabric, so I figured I’d just stick with the original pattern in its entirety.
I think I did a pretty good job lining up the center of the bodice with that center pleated panel of the skirt. I used a white with black polka dot fabric for the pockets because I was hoping they would stand out a little bit. Overall, the dress fit me well as is, except if I made the dress again, I would probably cut the bodice a bit differently, as I had a bit of gaping at the neckline (I took the shoulder seams in instead, to help with that). I’m just too lazy to make a muslin all the time, lol. I also swapped in an invisible zipper for the regular one called for in the pattern, except I made mine an exposed zipper…I just sort of felt like it would be cool to see that white line in the back, since I had done a decent job fussy-cuting, because the zipper line goes directly down the middle of all the butterflies.
I decided to share my Anna Maria Horner linens with one lucky winner! You will get 2 yards of Coral Cat, the remainder of the Ghost Wing fabric left over from making my dress (around a fat quarter size – both fabrics have been washed), and my Deer and Doe Belladone pattern!