|Toddler dress made by Rachael of Imagine Gnats|
‘Frippery’ and ‘Asbury’ (in the second graphic) are both full of amazing colors and graphics. I just love the amusement park prints depicted in the ‘Asbury’ collections, they are so nostalgic and it’s amazing how well they all work together…even the supporting prints are quite quite amazing!
|Thomas Knauer’s ‘Frippery’ fabric collection|
Here she is giving it one more squeeze (yeah, there’s the quilting I was talking about):
I did a little interview with Thomas, and here were his answers to my questions:
- You have 2 new fabric collections coming out before the end of the year, ‘Frippery’ and ‘Asbury’. You seem to be such a productive designer, what is your designing schedule like with 2 lines coming out within a few months of each other?
- ‘Asbury’ are such nostalgic designs, and I think all of the prints are really strong. These are the perfect fabrics for a quilt, as I feel like, in my mind, each print cannot exist without the others (although the text or ice cream cones would make an awesome dress!). What was your design process like for this line? Which prints came to you first?
|Two bags made with ‘Frippery’ and ‘Asbury’ fabrics|
- I know that you also make quilts. Do you feel that it’s important to you as a fabric designer to also create your own sewn items?
- What ideas are interesting to you right now for future fabric lines?
- What is your favorite thing about being a fabric designer?